January is National Mentoring Month! If you’re already a Denver Kids mentor, thank you. You’re making a life-changing difference for our students every day. In fact, when children of higher risk environments have the support of an adult mentor:
• 52% are less likely than their peers to skip a day of school
• 55% are more likely to be enrolled in college
• 46% are less likely than their peers to start using drugs
• 81% are more likely to report participating regularly in sports or extracurricular activities
• 78% are more likely to volunteer regularly in their communities
If you’ve considered becoming a mentor, let this be your month to learn more and make it happen. As a mentor to a Denver Kids student, you’ll have a unique opportunity to provide support and guidance to a young person facing adversity. Your relationship with a student can help them navigate new experiences, empower them to reach for their dreams, and transform their futures.
There are lots of ways to engage with your mentee. Activities may include movies, concerts, plays, ball games, museums, and campus visits. Or sometimes, it might just involve hanging out and talking. Whatever you do, the experience is sure to be rewarding.
Apply to become a mentor today or learn more at: http://denverkidsinc.org/get-involved/become-a-mentor/
“I have been matched with my mentor for 12 years and there’s no end to what he has helped me accomplish. He has helped me grow into the young man I am and influenced me as if he were a father figure.”
– Denver Kids Mentee