We recently held our first Mentor/Student Launch Party, matching 17 Denver Kids students with volunteer mentors! We welcome our new mentors and thank them for the life-changing impact they will have on our students. In fact, when children have the support of an adult mentor in their lives:
• 55% are more likely to enroll in college
• 52% are less likely than their peers to skip a day of school
• 46% are less likely than their peers to start using drugs
• 81% are more likely to participate in sports or extracurricular activities
• 78% are more likely to volunteer in their communities
The launch party addition is part of a larger shift in our volunteer mentoring program’s recruitment and onboarding process. Beginning this year, we will feature two mentor onboarding cycles (February and September) to better align with the academic school year and new semester start. This change allows Denver Kids to provide enhanced guidance and support to our volunteer mentors throughout the year through trainings, educational resources, mentor/mentee events, and mentor networking opportunities. A big thanks to our affiliates at Mentor Colorado for helping us to incorporate these best practices changes to our program.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer mentor, please apply by July 17, 2017.