Careers & Internships
Internship Summary: This is a learning opportunity for a college level student or recent graduate who is interested in pursuing a career in accounting, especially in the non-profit sector. This internship will give you hands on experience at a great nonprofit with a mission of working with Denver Public School students to successfully complete high school, pursue post-secondary options, and become contributing members of the community. Within this internship, you will gain a comprehensive experience of all aspects of accounting for a nonprofit, from inputting the daily/weekly/monthly transactions to doing month-end reconciliations and assisting with the creation of financial reports. The ideal candidate will have technical knowledge in bookkeeping and financial matters, as well as organizational skills, the ability to maintain confidentiality, attention to detail and be able to juggle competing priorities.
- Process accounts payable invoices and payments
- Prepare and process bank deposits and online donations
- Reconcile monthly bank and investment accounts with financial accounting system
- Record journal entries through the financial accounting system
- Maintain an accurate filing and record keeping/reporting system for all financial matters
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly financial statements & other financial reports
- Assist the Director of Finance & HR during the annual audit
- Assist in processing revenue pledges
- Other supportive tasks, as assigned by the Director of Finance & HR, which include but are not limited to:
- Collect and process Human Resource-related documents
- Reconcile expense reports
- Make requests for in-kind donations
By the end of this internship you will have gained these marketable skills:
- Proficiency in using BlackBaud Financial Edge, a widely used financial accounting software
- An all-encompassing experience of all organizational accounting procedures from transactions to financial reports
- An understanding of the ends and outs of a nonprofit accounting department
- If applicable, based on timing, experience going through an audit or budget process
- Commitment to education and work with youth from higher risk environments
- Must be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in a program in which student will attain a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Candidates pursuing/ exploring careers in accounting or the non-profit sector will be given preference
- An understanding of accounting principles and US GAAP requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with BlackBaud Financial Edge or similar accounting software a plus
- Exceptional inter-personal skills, self-motivation & time management abilities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
All internships are part-time with no financial compensation, but are a learning opportunity. Academic credit is available.
No phone calls or mail submissions please.
Denver Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and developing an inclusive staff team. People of color and individuals of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.